If you’re taking a trip to London or passing through on your way somewhere else, chances are you’ll want to go sightseeing. After all, London is a famous destination for tourists. The problem is, most tourists don’t want to sightsee with all of their luggage. Rolling a suitcase behind you slows you down and ends up being more of a hassle than it’s worth. But you shouldn’t skip out on seeing London because you have luggage. Millions of people make it work every year, and so can you.
Find luggage storage near you
Places to Store Your Luggage in London
So, how can you see all that London has to offer without dragging your luggage along? Luggage Storage London is here to help.
Some hotels will allow you to leave your luggage with them for the day. You can call ahead to hotels that are close to your airport, bus, train, etc. You’ll want to stay close to that area to save time. If they’ll hold your luggage for you, make sure it’s in a safe location where your possessions won’t be easily accessed. While we want you to enjoy London, we don’t want any of your possessions to be stolen!
Left Luggage Facilities
“Left luggage” refers to luggage that you’re leaving behind while you go somewhere else. Sightseeing is the perfect example of why there are left luggage facilities in London.
Tourist Information Centres
Many tourist information centres, like Greenwich Tourist Centre, will keep your luggage for you for a fee.
- £5 per item for 3 hours
- £8 per item for an extra 24 hours
You can store your luggage at Greenwich Tourist Centre between the hours of 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Westfield Shopping Centres
The Westfield shopping centres in Stratford City and London will also keep your luggage for you.
- Coats and umbrellas: £3 per item for 4 hours
- Bags and suitcases: £5 per item for 4 hours
- £10 per item to hold all day
London charges £5 for smaller suitcases and £7 for larger suitcases.
|Company||Price per bag||Insurance||Free cancellation||Security seals provided||App|
Never more than £8/day
|Access Self Storage||6£ per bag for 0-3 hours 12.5£ for 3-24 hours||Cost from £1.57 up to £7 per £1000||No||No||No|
The following train station locations will hold your luggage for you. Unless otherwise stated, all of these stations are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- London’s King Cross station at platform 9’s entrance
- London’s Charing Cross station at the main concourse
- London’s Euston station at platforms 16 and 18
- London’s Liverpool Street station at platform 10
- London’s Paddington station at platform 12
- London’s St. Pancras International station at the main concourse5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Saturday7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday
- London’s Victoria station at platform 87 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. seven days a week
- London’s Waterloo station at Exit 6 by the South Bank
Luggage Storage Around London Airports
Excess Baggage offers left luggage services at London Heathrow Airport, London Gatwick Airport and London Luton Airport. There is a left luggage facility at London City Airport, but it isn’t run by Excess Baggage.
London Heathrow Airport
- Terminal 2 Arrivals at the main concourseOpen daily from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m£7.50 for each item for up to 3 hours£12.50 for each item for 3-24 hours£20 for each item for 24-48 hours£27.50 for each item for 48-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
- Terminal 3 Arrivals at the main concourseOpen daily from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m£6 for each item for up to 3 hours£11 for each item for 3-24 hours£18.50 for each item for 24-48 hours£26 for each item for 48-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
- Terminal 4 Arrivals at the west end of the arrivals hallOpen daily from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m£6 for each item for up to 2 hours£11 for each item for 2-24 hours£18.50 for each item for 24-48 hours£26 for each item for 48-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
- Terminal 5 Arrivals at the UK arrivals endOpen daily from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m£6 for each item for up to 2 hours£11 for each item for 2-24 hours£18.50 for each item for 24-48 hours£26 for each item for 48-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
London Gatwick Airport
- South Terminal at the back of the check-in areaOpen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week£6 for each item for up to 3 hours£11 for each item for 3-24 hours£7.50 for each item for 24-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
- North Terminal next to the inter-terminal shuttleOpen daily from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.£6 for each item for up to 3 hours£11 for each item for 3-24 hours£7.50 for each item for 24-72 hours£5 for each additional 24 hours after 72 hours
London Luton Airport
- Main Terminal across from the Bar Des VoyageursOpen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week£5 for each item for up to 2 hours£10 for each item for 2-24 hours£5 for each item for each additional 24 hours
London City Airport
- Information Desk: £10 for each item for every 24 hours it’s there
London Stansted Airport
- At the Luggage-Point service desk by International Arrivals in Zone AOpen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week £8 for the day (not per item)£48 for the week for suitcases (cabin-sized)£10 for the day or £60 for the week for suitcases (standard-sized)£20 for the day or £120 for the week for oversized items
Self-Storage Luggage Companies
Thankfully, there are several mobile apps that can help you find luggage storage easily. Through an app on your phone, you can reserve your time, location and duration.
Stasher works with hotels/resorts and stores to provide you with luggage storage. Go online to Stasher.com to see which locations are close to your destination. Book your reservation online, and bring your luggage to the Stasher location before you hit the city. You can see the hours and locations for different StashPoints on the Stasher website. Prices start at £5 per item.
- Access Self Storage is a great left luggage facility with locations in London’s Tower Bridge, King’s Cross and Croydon.
- Shurgard is located in Camden, Southwark and Wandsworth.
- Safestore is located in Paddington, Euston, Wimbledon and Camden. They are open seven days a week with varying hours.
- Monday-Saturday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursdays 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
If you have a ton of bags with you and need help carrying them, a luggage delivery service will take care of this for you. AirPort offers this service. Their pricing starts at £19 per item.
Access Self Storage is opposite King’s Cross Station. Many tourists find themselves at King’s Cross Station to see the Covent Garden, British Museum and Camden Town. You can store your items here for £8.50 for each item per day.
- 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday
- 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday
- Other self storage units include SafeStore Self Storage and ABC Self Store.
If you have a small item you don’t want to carry around, there are several tourist attractions where you can leave your items.
You may leave bags that are under 40x40x50cm in their cloakroom. No bags larger than this size or above 8kg may be left in the cloakroom. If your bag is 4kg, it costs £2.50. If your bag is 4-8kg, it costs £5. You must pick your luggage up by 5:30 p.m. Tourists who arrive after 4:30 p.m. will need to keep their bags with them. Rolling suitcases are prohibited.
The National Gallery has two cloakrooms. There is one behind the information desk in the Sainsbury Wing and one on the lower ground floor in the main building. Your bag must be under 40x25x25cm to store it. You will be charged £1.50 for each item.
Tate Modern has a cloakroom on Level 0.
You must leave any bags that exceed 55x40x20cm in the cloakroom. You can’t take large bags, skateboards, folding bikes or scooters into the gallery, either.
- Take small and large items to the lockers at the Blavtanik building. There are lockers on the ground floor.
- Items left in the cloakroom require a £4 donation.
- Items left in the lockers require £1, but this is refundable when you leave.
Natural History Museum
Suitcases with wheels and suitcases that exceed carry-on size are to be left in the cloakroom. Bags under 4kg cost £3. Larger bags cost £7. Scooters are £2.
The Science Museum accepts coats and smaller bags. They don’t take suitcases. You’ll pay £2 per item.
The V&A Museum has two cloakrooms. One cloakroom is located by the main entrance. The other is by the Exhibition Road entrance. Coats, umbrellas and small bags are accepted. No bags exceeding 56x45x25cm are allowed.
- Handbags and coats cost £1.
- Cabin bags cost £3.
- Large bags cost £5.
The London Zoo doesn’t have a lot of space, so if you have bags, plan to arrive early in the day.
A small locker costs £1 for the hour or £5 for the day.
A large locker costs £2 for the hour or £10 for the day.
Imperial War Museum
The Imperial War Museum is available for smaller bags. Larger items may be left in the pushchair storage area. All items are stored for £1, which is refundable when you leave.
Museum of London
The Museum of London only has 108 lockers. Bags cannot exceed 43x37x24cm. It costs £1.
The Design Museum
The Design Museum is even smaller. They have 62 lockers, but only four are large enough for big bags. It costs £1.
Finding the Right Choice for You
We know there’s a lot of options for storing your luggage, which is a good thing! Here’s a general idea of what to go with, depending on how long you need to store your luggage.
Storage for the Day
If you only need to store your luggage for a day, we recommend going with an app-based storage system like Stasher or left luggage at your airport or train station. You’ll be in and out quickly, and your luggage will be safe while you enjoy sightseeing.
Storage for Up to 3 Days
A storage centre or system (like Stasher) will be your best bet here. While you can still use left luggage, you’ll pay their highest rates. You can save around £30 with a storage centre/Stasher.
Storage for a Week or More
Don’t even consider left luggage for this time frame! The rates will be crazy expensive. Storage centres are your best bet because they offer discounts and promotions for long-term use. The discounts get better the longer you keep your luggage in a storage centre. You can even leave your luggage for months at a time. This could be ideal if you’re traveling abroad for work.
Whether you’re sightseeing in London, visiting friends and family, or traveling abroad for work, Luggage Storage London has your back. We have the best rates around to keep your trip as affordable as possible. Check out our website for more information, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions. We’re here to make your trip better!